Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Most Important Meal of the Day

Alright, alright, alright (insert Matthew Mcconaughey joke here). If you had to know one thing about me then that would be that I am in LOVE with breakfast. It can be sweet, savory, or both, you can include all your veggies and fruits into one meal, and it's a meal that happens first thing in the morning which I love because I am an extreme early bird; that's right, I'm talking waking with the sunrise kind of early bird over here.

Now while I'm home I love to experiment with all types of breakfast ideas: pancakes, yogurt, waffles, omelettes, and oatmeal flavors galore but since I spend the majority of my time at school in a dorm room, I have to get a little more creative. I typically shift between two different types of breakfasts and I find that both of these pack a ton of carbs, fats, and proteins to keep me energized and ready for my whole day. *Shamless plug alert* - I typically post almost all of my breakfasts on my Instagram so follow me @theroadtobalance to see what I eat daily!



Greek yogurt - chock full of protein and low in carbohydrates, this is definitely a winner in my book. I love taking a cup of yogurt and mixing it with cinnamon and stevia as a base. Next, I'll top it with chia seeds, and go crazy with the fruit (my favorites are fresh and frozen berries as well as bananas). Then I'll usually add some type of cereal or granola for added crunch. Last but not least I'll add a tablespoon of nut butter to get those healthy fats in. Quick, easy, and crazy delicious.



Oatmeal, by far the most underrated breakfast dish. I remember growing up absolutely dreading oatmeal. It was one of those bland and mushy substances my parents would throw into a bowl from a packet, microwave with too much water, and make me eat it before "imporant" events like the SAT. Ugh. Once I got to college I started to appreciate the warm and comforting taste of oatmeal though. It was a pleasant and relaxing way to start the day and once I discovered all the ways to change oatmeal with various protein powders, pudding mixes, extracts, and flavorings, the rest was history. I typically make overnight oats and take them to go or quickly scarf them down in the mornings since it's so quick and easy but when I have a little extra time, I love to make new concoctions.


Lastly, my favorite yogurt + cottage cheese bowl. This keeps me so so full and packs a ton of volume for not a lot of calories. I take an individual greek yogurt container, my favorite being the Dannon Light and Fit greek tubs, and mix it with either a 1/3 or a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. I then top it with fruit, granola/cereal, and nut butter and it is crazy delicious. Packs a ton of protein as well as some healthy carbs and fats.


And that's it! When I'm home in my own kitchen I love to experiment more but in terms of what's easy to cook up in a dorm, that's what I've got. Let me know if you also love any or all of these breakfast ideas or if you think there's some out there I should try!


No comments:

Post a Comment